Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sunday


We just finished speaking with Heather's new Neurologist, Dr. Scalabrin. We learned a lot from her and feel like everything is much clearer. First, let me say that transferring to University of Utah was the absolute best thing we could have done. They see dissections similar to this on a weekly basis, and understand the course of the condition very well.

Here's what we now know. The dissection was and is the cause of Heather's agonizing pain that began just over two weeks ago and continues today. It was most likely a spontaneous dissection which may happen to certain unlucky individuals who may have a susceptibility due to genetic conditions, etc. Heather's chiropractor had suspected this when he ordered the MRA scan a week ago, but unfortunately, it was undetected by the radiologist. The doctors here at the U of U took another look at it and found the dissection in the orginal scan. They said that it is easy to miss because it is not common. The dissection was quite small at first, but increased in size greatly when Heather's neck was manipulated on Wednesday.

We are grateful to understand the cause of Heather's pain, and are so glad to be getting such great care here. The dissection will heal on its own, but will take some time. Heather will need constant attention for the next month at least, and has to limit her activities until she's able to handle more. She may be able to come home within the next few days. Her doctor told her that she will be very fatigued for a while and will require naps and will battle pain for a while. The best news is that she should fully recover from this with little to no lasting effects.

I'll be sure to add more tonight, but I need to go now. We have visitors!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank the Lord for that news!!

Anonymous said...

Heather my love...oh I just love you, and I.m glad we can all still keep you! My little world is much more colorful with you in it, and now you can add your own story to your already bizarre repertoire.

I.m ready for a return to the old days, when we wondered what would happen if one of us got sick but it was hypothetical. This is enough of reality, my friend...

You're still as beautiful as ever: silly, inquisitive, obsessive, concerned. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Heather & Family, we just read the news from the Harbach's email. You are in our prayers. I am glad to hear that everything is going to be fine. It was so fun to open your blog and see your beautiful family! You were great friends to us when we lived in Las Vegas. Thank you for all you did for us in our own time of need. We wish we could be there to help you. We send our love from St. George -
Michelle and Jake Joines

Kaylyn said...

Heather I am soooo happy that they have finally found the cause of your neck pain. What a mystery!
We love you and you are in our prayers continually.
Jeron sorry I missed your phone call the other night. I hope you got my message I left on your phone.
I love you guys VERY much!!!
Kaylyn